Job description: Bilingual Communications Manager
About DAWN Canada
DAWN Canada is a feminist, cross-disability human rights organization that works to address systems of oppression. DAWN’s mandate is to end the poverty, isolation, discrimination and violence experienced by women and gender-diverse people with disabilities and Deaf people on the gender spectrum living in Canada, as well as promote their advancement and inclusion by creating change at a systemic level.
Benefits of working with DAWN Canada
DAWN Canada offers a generous vacation plan, personal days and sick days, medical and dental benefits, a life work balance and a flexible work environment.
If you are a talented and creative communications professional looking to join a diverse group of highly skilled, intelligent people who are passionate about social justice and human rights, then we would love to hear from you!
The Bilingual Communications Manager will work collaboratively to implement DAWN Canada’s internal and external communications plans and strategies. Working closely in a fast-paced, small team environment, this position is responsible for managing DAWN Canada’s social media platforms, website, and other digital communications vehicles in both official languages with the goal of increasing engagement and awareness of DAWN Canada and its mission. A key priority for this position is leading the redevelopment of the DAWN Canada website.
The successful candidate will collaborate with DAWN Canada colleagues to creatively support advocacy initiatives that make human rights and disability-sector research and policy work more accessible to DAWN Canada’s partners and audiences.
This role has the flexibility of being a part-time or full-time position (or part-time growing to full-time) with the opportunity to be either a permanent employee OR an independent contractor. This position offers opportunities for advancement within the communications department.
General Communications Duties
- Develops effective external and internal communication strategies in partnership with senior management and other staff as required, and ensures that objectives are met
- Supports staff with communications needs, reviews and edits materials for initiatives and events, and answers external requests
- Manages the development of digital and print communication materials and oversees copywriting, editing and proofreading written materials such as reports, briefs, media releases, blog posts, newsletters, presentations, event and conference materials and the Annual Report in accessible formats
- Collaborates with colleagues to develop visually engaging and informative communications materials and creatively share research findings for multiple audiences
- Maintains a strong social media presence on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and YouTube
- Ensures that the website is updated and content is refreshed on a regular basis
- Manages the oversight of DAWN Canada’s visual identity and brand and ensures consistency and quality in DAWN Canada’s communication materials
- Manages external vendors to coordinate translation, graphic design, production, printing and IT support
- Acts as the main contact for media inquiries and media outreach
- Working with the team and a third-party agency, acts as the project management lead on the redevelopment of the DAWN Canada website
- Lead the development of DAWN Canada’s communications strategy, social media strategy, and works to broaden reach to appropriate audiences
- Regularly monitors, evaluates and reports on social media and website analytics and other communications projects
- Post-secondary education in the area of communications, marketing, public relations, journalism or a related field
- Minimum 5 years experience in a similar position, preferably in the not-for-profit sector
- Bilingual (English/French): can speak, read and write proficiently in both official languages
- Superior writing, editing and communication skills
- Strong knowledge of social media tools and their applications
- Experience writing content for diverse audiences through a variety of communications platforms, including websites and social media channels
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to use graphic design software (e.g., Canva, InDesign) to create print and electronic communications products
- Familiarity with website publishing applications (especially WordPress)
- Strong knowledge of administrative, communications and evaluation software, including MailChimp, Survey Monkey, social media publishing tools (e.g. Hootsuite or Sprout Social) and Google Analytics
- Experience with media relations and media outreach
- Strong attention to detail and a high degree of efficiency, accuracy and professionalism
- Strong project management skills
- Ability to work independently with and collaborate effectively in a small team environment
- Knowledge and experience with AODA, web accessibility, accessible design and alt-text
- Knowledge of the feminist, human rights and disability justice-related sectors
- Knowledge or lived experience of disability and disability justice
How to Apply
Please submit a PDF of your cover letter and resume by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by May 26, 2023. When creating the PDF, be sure to make your name the file name, SurnameFirstname.pdf. We thank everyone who applies for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applicants contacted for an interview may be asked for samples of previous work that are relevant to this role OR a short written assignment.
DAWN is an equal opportunity employer. As an employer who values diversity in the workforce, DAWN Canada encourages candidates to self-identify as members of a marginalized group when applying for this position.
We encourage, among others, Black, Indigenous and women of colour, with disabilities and Deaf, identifying as LGBTQIA2+ and/or immigrants to apply.